Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Where to get COVID-19 financial help


coffee, cup, tea-2616853.jpg

Information correct as at 20th August, 2021. This article will be updated as more support becomes available. 

With lockdowns across several states and territories, many people have found their regular work routine is disrupted.

During this period, there are several support payments available depending on your situation. Some of the payments are managed by Federal Government departments, while others are managed by the states and territories.

Federal Government advice for Indigenous people about COVID-19 in general can be found here. 

1. If you are facing extreme financial hardship


Help is available if you need support to buy food or pay for living expenses.

2. If you can’t work due to a lockdown in your state or territory 


If you don’t receive a Centrelink or DVA payment

If you’re an Australian resident over the age of 17 and have lost work due to a lockdown in your area, you may be eligible for a COVID-19 Disaster Payment through Services Australia. To be eligible for the maximum amount, you must not be receiving another income support payment, such as ABSTUDY or a small business payment.

The amount each eligible person can get depends on how much work they have lost and the state they are in. For example, in Sydney in late August, an eligible person who has lost more than 20 hours of work a week can get up to $750 per week.

If you do receive a Centrelink or DVA payment

If you meet other eligibility criteria, you may be able to get up to an extra $200 a week on top of your Centrelink or DVA payment through Services Australia in certain states. You can find out more here. 

Click here to find out what’s available in your state or territory.

3. If you can’t work because you’re self-isolating, in quarantine or looking after someone with COVID-19 


You may be eligible for a payment of up to $1500 if you’re unable to leave home because you’re self-isolating, in quarantine or caring for someone with COVID-19. In order to qualify, you have to have been directed by a state-based health official to isolate.

This payment is not available to people who are getting income from work or another Centrelink allowance, such as ABSTUDY.

4. If you’re in a Greater Sydney hotspot and are isolating while waiting for a test result 


Current Sydney hotspots can be found here. 

If you’re in an area that has been declared a COVID-19 hotspot in Greater Sydney, you may be able to get a payment of $320 if you’re isolating while waiting for a test result. In order to get the payment, you have to meet certain eligibility criteria, including not receiving other income or support payments. More information and eligibility requirements can be found here. 

5. If you are an Indigenous business owner and need support


Indigenous Business Australia (IBA) has support available for Indigenous businesses, including those who are not IBA customers.

Examples of the help on offer includes grants and loans, as well as specialist advice. You can click here to find out more. 

Let us know if you liked this article

Let us know if you liked this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top